Collaboration is Key

I have always been a communicator; someone who expresses their thoughts, insights and feelings toward a common good. Don't get me wrong, I blow my top, get frustrated and may from time to time be unreasonable; but on the whole I try to contribute to the greater good. When I formed Travel 4 Real many years ago with my mother we had the notion that we as a company could collaborate with others in the industry to create a better experience for the customer. Nearly ten years later I am still greatly disappointed in the people who work the front lines in the world of travel.

I am just back from a travel industry networking event. I keep going to these events hoping to collaborate, communicate and contribute to the industry my companies knowledge and expertise. More than not what I find is tired, closed-minded people whose only objective is to get their next commission check from a supplier or "protect" their little corner of the world from anyone who is not a customer.

Great companies such as Microsoft, Mercedes and dozens of others became better by working with; not against the competition. How can we expect to improve ourselves if we don't help others improve? Is this the "dead sea scrolls" or the "Lucy" of forward company thinking? Is my idea of working with people whom I compete against a completely absurd notion? So what if you also offer trips to Italy, France or Greece; maybe, just maybe there is something I offer you don't, that your customers may enjoy.. its about the customer right? I have approached my competition and said "how can we work together" How can I support other travel companies who offer unique and interesting products without being seen as a threat?

Companies seem to not see the quality of other companies but the threat they may or may not pose to them. Don't CEO's want to offer quality products, fill holes in their offerings with high end items and want to support the industry, support others like them? Of course you do this with caution and sensibility; there are people and companies who wish to only do harm to their competition. I think travel is such a vast industry with such a large playing field that there is plenty of room for healthy collaboration.

It continues to amaze me that in an industry that has been hit by 9/11, dot.com meltdown, real estate crash and economic downturn would not come together, work together, collaborate together for the better good of each person involved. If the people in control don't begin to work together and stop building walls between themselves; I fear that we will segment ourselves into oblivion.

When you are at your next networking event, no matter what industry you are in .. stop.. just for a second and ask yourself this about someone who may be in the same line of business: "how could we work together" think outside the box and with a little thought I am sure you could come up with one or two great ideas. This type if thinking is the catalyst of the next great economic revolution.

I put the call out, out to all companies in travel, big, small, offer the same products that I do.. I don't care. I want high quality products for my customers; trips and services that they will enjoy. If you are a direct competitor I am sure there is some way to work together, support each other and grow the industry toward one that I can feel proud to be a part of.

Sincerely,

Rem Malloy
Owner, President
Travel 4 Real
rem@travel4real.com

No comments:

Post a Comment